Wednesday, 29 May 2013


We left Cape Town at 9.30 am Monday 27th May and headed NW past Robbin Island towards Cape Columbine  about 60nm away. After tacking back and forward for about 90nm and 26 hours later we gave up and headed back 14 nm to Saldahna Bay to wait for more favorable winds. We had up to 1 and a half knots of current against us with very confused seas and 18 to 22 knots of wind from the NE. Heavy fog descended at 2.00am and remained heavy until 10.30 as we approached Saldanha when it lifted enough to see about half a mile. It was freezing cold to boot so we pleased to put the pick down in a nice sheltered corner of the bay to wait it out for more favorable wind at least! There are always things to do aboard so we will fill in some time here, maybe have a bit of a look around ashore. There are a series of sizable fronts due to hit this coast over the next few days. When they pass by we will set off again.